Responce from my inquiry on Blocking Txt msgs
Ryan Woods
2003-08-29 23:38:19 UTC
I got an answer almost immediatly after posting my other message..

Blocking Text Msgs on a per sender basis is not possible at this time..
Currently the technology used for our current Txt msging system does not
support the blocking of just certain senders. It may be possible in the
future as the technology used advances, but it is not an option at this
time. the only option right now is V-Block which blocks ALL incoming
text messages, even those sent my VZW I believe. However you still will
have the abilty to SEND txt messages.

Sorry guys.. I tried.. But at least they said it wouldnt ever be
possible... Mabey one day

Anything else??

Ryan Woods
VZW Welcome Center / South Region

[posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
paul j.
2003-08-29 23:46:45 UTC
Post by Ryan Woods
I got an answer almost immediatly after posting my other message..
Blocking Text Msgs on a per sender basis is not possible at this time..
Currently the technology used for our current Txt msging system does not
support the blocking of just certain senders. It may be possible in the
future as the technology used advances, but it is not an option at this
time. the only option right now is V-Block which blocks ALL incoming
text messages, even those sent my VZW I believe. However you still will
have the abilty to SEND txt messages.
Sorry guys.. I tried.. But at least they said it wouldnt ever be
possible... Mabey one day
Anything else??
The tech exists. I can use "it" on instant messanger programs, email
clients, news readers and web browsers.

What they mean to say is that they haven't bothered to implement it.
--
[Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a
blaze of reality.]
[gdfan at comcast dot net]
Quick
2003-08-30 00:19:39 UTC
I'll just have to block all of them for a while.
I hope you don't think that will alleviate the problem.
They are sending from email. They have no idea if you've
blocked them or not.

-Quick
Ryan Woods
PJAY M59
2003-08-30 23:44:04 UTC
Date: 08/29/2003 8:19 PM Eastern
I'll just have to block all of them for a while.
I hope you don't think that will alleviate the problem.
They are sending from email. They have no >idea if you've blocked them or not.
-Quick >>
The unwanted text messages were coming from a Cingular phone user.
Unfortunately, I had typed "e-mail" in my header instead of "text messages", so
I understand part of your response. The part I don't understand is why would I
Care if they knew I was blocking them or not?
I don't want the text messages in my mailbox! They can waste as much time as
they want sending. Most importantly, I'm not going to waste any more time
receiving, deleting and paying for their juvenile deluge.
Quick
2003-08-31 00:14:04 UTC
Oh. When you said "I'll have to block all of them for a while"
I thought you might have been thinking that the blocking would
result in your number being dropped from their list and the
problem would be cleared up when you unblocked at some
later date. ...never mind...

Interesting that they are spamming from a phone. I'm trying
to think how one would do bulk spamming from a phone.
Autodialer? Sending email to <number>@vtext.com results
in an sms being sent to <number>. Real easy to cover hundreds
of thousands of numbers completely automated and in a very
short amount of time. I would think it much harder and slower
to do it by phone(s).

-Quick
The Ghost of General Lee
2003-08-30 02:31:57 UTC
Post by Ryan Woods
I got an answer almost immediatly after posting my other message..
Blocking Text Msgs on a per sender basis is not possible at this time..
Currently the technology used for our current Txt msging system does not
support the blocking of just certain senders. It may be possible in the
future as the technology used advances, but it is not an option at this
time. the only option right now is V-Block which blocks ALL incoming
text messages, even those sent my VZW I believe. However you still will
have the abilty to SEND txt messages.
Sorry guys.. I tried.. But at least they said it wouldnt ever be
possible... Mabey one day
Anything else??
I see they did not address the issue of white lists, where you set up
a list of approved senders/domains, and all else is rejected. Can you
please push that point? I firmly believe that one feature alone would
eliminate the majority of SMS spam problems.
You wouldn't be in Greenville, SC, would you?
Ryan Woods
2003-08-30 13:58:05 UTC
Post by Ryan Woods
Ryan Woods
VZW Welcome Center / South Region
You wouldn't be in Greenville, SC, would you?
Well all I did was ask my supervisor... And That is all he told me.. The
companies are well aware of what the customers want im sure... Its just
a matter of these big companies to spend the money to do it. ya know..

and No im not is SC.

[posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
Ryan Woods
2003-08-30 14:44:08 UTC
Well Phillipe if you know how to do it, come work for VZW and show
them.. cuz they seem to think it is not possible at this time with the
technology they are using for txt msging.
Post by Ryan Woods
I got an answer almost immediatly after posting my other message..
Blocking Text Msgs on a per sender basis is not possible at this time..
Currently the technology used for our current Txt msging system does not
support the blocking of just certain senders. It may be possible in the
future as the technology used advances, but it is not an option at this
time. the only option right now is V-Block which blocks ALL incoming
text messages, even those sent my VZW I believe. However you still will
have the abilty to SEND txt messages.
Sorry guys.. I tried.. But at least they said it wouldnt ever be
possible... Mabey one day
Anything else??
The first thing to program in (and liklely the simplest) is just to
allow a "White List". Only text messages from those listed in your
phone's address list would be accepted.
[posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
R Woods
2003-08-30 15:22:43 UTC
Like I said, I am all for you for going to their HQ and Showing them how
it's done :D
--
Statement made by me are of my opinion and knowledge, and do not express
those by Verizon Wireless(R).
Post by Ryan Woods
Well Phillipe if you know how to do it, come work for VZW and show
them.. cuz they seem to think it is not possible at this time with the
technology they are using for txt msging.
It would take very little code and memory to do it, but maybe they don't
have even a little left over.
[posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
Phillipe
2003-08-31 01:00:00 UTC
Does Verizon know you got fired by Sprint?
Mike James
2003-08-30 15:52:39 UTC
It's called revenue.... If they allow you to block spam, they will loose
cash... For those of you who will say the programs won't allow it???
Hogwash... If verizon would quit implementing substandard code, they
could remain #1.... Go Go Sprint PCS... Too bad your network sucks...
R Woods
2003-08-30 16:18:04 UTC
Actually Verizon attempts to BLOCK Spam, and if you recive spam, its
best to contact Verizon and let them know.. If the Spam message actually
costed you money (For those who DONT have a text msgin plan) you can
recieve a credit for the spam charge.

Now Verizon will send text messages themselves for campaignes, and they
are usually to BENEFIT the customer and dont go against there plans or
cost anything.

Here is some Q&A's I found here at Verizon regarding Spam Messages.

Q. Can Verizon Wireless stop such messaging?
A. Verizon Wireless is continually improving its state of the art
“anti-SPAM” methods that limit the number of SPAM and annoyance messages
that reach our subscribers. However no method is absolutely effective.

Q. Is there anything I can do to stop such messages from reaching
me?

A. Every Verizon Wireless subscriber can register on www.vtext.com
and exercise several message blocking methods available there. These
include:

1. Block all internet messages

2. Block all email messages

3. Block all messages from a domain (i.e., @domain.com)

4. Block any specific email address
(***@domain.com)

Q. What should I do if such a message reaches me in the future?

A. Do not delete the message until you call Customer Service and the
representative and report the incident.

Q. Do I pay for SPAM or are those automatically deleted from my
messaging plan?

A. Customer Service will credit your account for the cost of the
message.
--
Statements made by me are of my opinion and knowledge, and do not
Mike James
2003-08-30 17:10:16 UTC
The 12 to 20 cents a month it cost me isn't worth the call... And
Verizon Knows it.... The thing is, I have phones from various
carriers.... Verizon is the ONLY one letting spam thru... Again,
probably dated technology... As far as blocking it from VTEXT...
Spammers just change their address...
R Woods
2003-08-30 18:16:25 UTC
I just said they try.. I used to get spam mail on my Sprint phone from
Nappyroots.com all the time.. So even Sprint lets in Spam.. No one is
Spam proof.

Wut did the spam say anyways??
Steven J Sobol
2003-08-30 19:28:12 UTC
Post by Mike James
It's called revenue.... If they allow you to block spam, they will loose
cash... For those of you who will say the programs won't allow it???
Hogwash... If verizon would quit implementing substandard code, they
could remain #1.... Go Go Sprint PCS... Too bad your network sucks...
Jesus.

This is the same idiot chanting Go Go Verizon over in the SPCS newsgroup.

And gee whiz, the two cents per message is worth a really pissed off
customer who will take is $30 or $50 or $100 per month elsewhere, right?

Moron...
--
JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Services
22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * ***@JustThe.net
George
2003-08-30 16:27:05 UTC
Post by Ryan Woods
Well Phillipe if you know how to do it, come work for VZW and show
them.. cuz they seem to think it is not possible at this time with the
technology they are using for txt msging.
Having worked in corporate america a long time it is simply a case of they
don't want to do it. All communication systems are software based. Some
responsible person merely has to contact whoever wrote the text messaging
gateway and ask for a whitelist filter. It is that simple. Giving the "it is
not possible at this time" response is nonsense.
R Woods
The Ghost of General Lee
2003-08-30 18:21:45 UTC
Post by Ryan Woods
I got an answer almost immediatly after posting my other message..
Blocking Text Msgs on a per sender basis is not possible at this time..
Currently the technology used for our current Txt msging system does not
support the blocking of just certain senders. It may be possible in the
future as the technology used advances, but it is not an option at this
time. the only option right now is V-Block which blocks ALL incoming
text messages, even those sent my VZW I believe. However you still will
have the abilty to SEND txt messages.
Sorry guys.. I tried.. But at least they said it wouldnt ever be
possible... Mabey one day
Anything else??
The first thing to program in (and liklely the simplest) is just to
allow a "White List". Only text messages from those listed in your
phone's address list would be accepted.
That won't work. Once the phone receives the message, the customer
has already been charged. The blocking needs to occur at the server
level, not at the phone level.
Steven J Sobol
2003-08-30 19:24:39 UTC
Post by Ryan Woods
I got an answer almost immediatly after posting my other message..
Blocking Text Msgs on a per sender basis is not possible at this time..
The text messages that I consider spam are sent via e-mail.

It should be easy to block phone numbers too, but I'm more concerned
about e-mail.

VTEXT.COM already lets you block ALL txts send via the web and/or
ALL txts send via e-mail. That's a start.

I've done mail filtering before. The technology is available - you
could put a server doing mail filtering right in front of the SMS/email
gateway.

I've already e-mailed the regional Exec Relations office offering to
help design better filters and am considering sending a snail mail to
Bedminster since I'm sure people in other market areas have the same
problem.

If you can send the message up the ladder that there is someone here
who is not only complaining but offering to help fix the problem, I'd
appreciate it. If you need my account number or cell phone number,
let me know in private because I'm not posting either of those pieces
of info on Usenet.
Bob Tenney
2003-09-01 02:15:13 UTC
The first thing to program in (and liklely the simplest) is just to
allow a "White List". Only text messages from those listed in your
phone's address list would be accepted.
Or the white list could be your contact list on the vtext.com website.
Sure, this means typing in a seperate list, but this way the list is
already on Verizon's computers and they don't need a way for your
phone to pass it on.

Gravity is "only a theory"

adress is partially sdrawkcab.